So a couple weeks ago my dad and I decided to make some Chinese Fruit Kabobs and even though officially, the Chinese New year has already passed..these Kabobs still make a delicious and festival treat!
1) Step 1, prepare some fresh fruit ! ( we used some Chinese thornapple since that is the tradition choice for Candied Fruit Kabob but any small to medium size fruit such as grapes, strawberries, kiwis or oranges will be just fine)
2) Arrange the fruits and place them on some kabob sticks ! Make sure the fruit are arranged closely so they stick together because that is key for later on .
3) Prepare a few cups of brown sugar( Sorry, dad doesn’t believe in exact measurements) and caramelize the sugar by boiling it in water in a large pot ( make sure to stir the pot thoroughly to create a consistent texture without overcooking the brown sugar).
4) Ladies and gentlemen: Sugar-coat you Kabobs please 🙂 Dip and coat the fruit Kabobs that has been prepped already with the caramelized brown sugar to form a thin layer of coat around the fruits.
5) Place your candied fruit kabobs in the freezer for 2-3 hours and Voila !